Understanding the Orgin of Acne
The birth of a blemish actually occurs approximately two to three weeks prior to its visibility. As part of a natural process, your skin generates sebum oil deep within each hair follicle. This oil is necessary to maintain moisture and pliability within the skin.
Simultaneously, a natural sloughing process occurs. Together with the sebaceous oil produced, the dead skin cells are shed from the surface (superficial layers), making room for fresh new cells to take their place.
Under normal circumstances, this shedding process is gradual and the cells are shed evenly; hence, unblemished skin. Pores remain unobstructed and clear.
Any excessive oil production will cause dead skin cells to become stuck together forming plugs, which traps more sebaceous oil and bacteria inside each follicle.This contributes further congestion to the clogged pores, leading to the collaboration of white blood cells and eventual swelling culminating in the form of a “pimple.”
Acne Types & Symptoms
- Superficial pustules — pus at the follicular opening
- Nodules — pus deep in the dermis
- Cysts — nodules that fail to discharge to surface of skin
- Large deep pustules — nodules that break down, leading to scars
- Open comedones — blackheads — dilated follicles with central dark plugs
- Closed comedones — whiteheads — inflammatory changes of small follicular papules with or without papules
Four ways we treat acne
- Topical skin-Ceuticals: Dermagenesis Skin Care™ System; cleansers, lotions, masks and gels.
- Internal-oral natural supplements (pills)
- Acne-Mesotherapy™ Injections directly into the affected skin
- Physical and Chemical (Thermal and Laser non-ablative treatments, Light therapy, Peels, Mild and Aggressive ablative, Cryo-cold therapies)
Longevity Spa Acne Treating Facials
In our Chicago location, we offer the following acne treatments:
Ultrasonic Facial Acne Treatment – This signature treatment quickly and effectively corrects blemishes and fine lines/wrinkles in only 20 minutes. The dead skin is removed and exfoliated and the impurities/blackheads are electrically extracted (No uncomfortable squeezing). The collagen/elastin is regenerated which stimulates your healthy even skin tone. The facial is then finalized with a deep hydrating moisturizer for the face and eye areas. The results are fantastic and quick.
Oxygen Facial for Treating Acne – the facial offers a deep cleansing and hydration treatment, while delivering the magic of O2 through inhalation and directly to the skin. Warm foot and calf covers are used during the treatment offering deep stimulation, while promoting lymphatic drainage.
Lymphatic Drainage/Hydrating Facial for Treating Acne – This facial incorporates a detoxifying method of facial cleansing and massage. The therapists work to apply pressure to specific points within the face to generate the natural sebum flow, which hydrates the skin internally. Simultaneously, the lymph nodes are activated to release toxins stored deep within the body.
Dr. T.’s Signature Acne Eliminating Treatments
New ClearLight™ Acne PhotoClearing™ Treatment System
A revolutionary aggressive treatment designed to painlessly clarify acne breakouts with the healing power of light. Envision lying under a warm embracing lamp similar lying in the sun except without the exposure to damaging free radicals.
And that’s it. Just lying under a warm lamp for 15-20 minutes wearing tiny goggles allowing the healing light to eliminate stubborn breakouts.
Our Chicago acne treatment Phototherapy system utilizes a 405-420 NM wavelength light, working to permeate deep within the skin tissue reaching the P. Acnes Bacteria. The light safely and effectively disintegrates the bacteria, while leaving light triggered endogenic porphyrins to reside within the skin’s tissue post acne treatment. They work to continuously surpass the proliferation rate of the P. Acnes leading to the elimination of bacteria and lesions.
PDT – Levulan Photo Dynamic Therapy
Finally, there is a treatment for difficult cases of acne that does not require oral medication! Levulan Kerastick Photodynamic Therapy is an innovative breakthrough therapy for tougher cases of acne.
This treatment consists of painting a liquid medication on the skin, Levulan Kerastick (aminolevulinic acid 20%) that is then activated by Clear Light, DUSA, Blue Light machine or Quantum Intense Pulse Light (IPL). This medication is a naturally occurring product that makes the skin sensitive to the light source the doctor will apply.
Originating in Europe, Dr. Tcheupdjian has introduced the micro-dermabrasion procedure into his practice for the treatments of acne, scars, and multiple aging signs in the face and body in our Chicago location. This non-surgical treatment gently and effectively removes excess dead skin cells, which have accumulated leading to an undesirable and unhealthy skin appearance seen through acne lesions, pockmarks, elevated scars, wrinkles, and uneven pigment.
Combining the latest technologies with Dr. T’s own innovative Microabltalive techniques, the acne treatment is non-invasive, lasts only twenty minutes, and the patient is able to return to a busy schedule directly after. For these reasons, Dr. “T” has coined microderm as “Lunch-Time Cosmetic Surgery”
By utilizing tiny micro-crystals and surface paddles, the dead skin layers are gently vacuumed away, enabling the underlying skin layers to thrive or breath again. The removal of dead skin (or advancing cellular turnover) will cause fresh young skin cells to be produced creating a balanced and even skin tone/complexion.
The non-aluminum crystals and vibration technique ensure the accuracy and customization of each acne treatment. This also enhances patient comfort by eliminating the deep scratching and particle shooting.
It finally delivers a deep stimulation to the dermal skin layers leading to desired collagen production. This development of regenerated collagen, coupled with the new cellular growth, will reveal a more even appearance by filling in pocked areas and sanding down skin tissue hosted in the elevated scars.
Consecutive treatments are recommended to eventually erase acne’s aftermath along with other scarring, fine lines, while promoting a balanced even pigment in the face.
- Short four-week acne treatment (6-8 sessions)
- 15-20 Minutes acne treatment session with absolutely no downtime in our convenient Chicago location
- Non-system and drug-free
- No side effects/Pain free
- Suitable for all breakout areas (face, neck, chest, shoulders and back)
- Sensitive enough for thick bearded patients
Frequently Asked Questions
WHY DOES STRESS CAUSE ACNE?
Simple. When we are stressed out or “under the gun,” our bodies fall into the natural “fight or flight” response.
When this occurs our adrenal glands ignite sparking the release of cortosol (the stress hormone). When high levels of cortosol are present in our systems, the body reacts by secreting a flood of sebum oil clogging the pores leading to acne breakouts.
WHY DO TEENAGERS BREAKOUT?
Approximately 90% of teens suffer from breakouts.
This is the time when we are launched into adulthood and the initial launch of the sex hormones takes place. The hormones are constantly fluctuating and susceptible to malfunction. The testosterone in both genders actively converts into androgens, which spark the production of heavy sebum oil, which leads to frequent breakouts. If your teen is acne prone, try to eliminate the sugary snacks.
IS ACNE HORMONAL?
Hormonal deficiencies or imbalances are prime culprits for breakouts.
For women, low progesterone levels will indirectly sparks sebum oil causing breakouts. At the same time, many women experiencing menopause or peri-menopause will develop acne due to a declination of progesterone and/or testosterone dominance.
Although adult onset acne is not as common for men, some do experience occasional breakouts due to inefficient testosterone conversion process (poor liver function or a diet excessive in 5-alpha-reductase).
DOES A DIET CAUSE ACNE?
Yes. In fact, a high percentage of breakouts are caused by certain foods we eat.
Some myths about acne are false (like oily foods), but some are true. Sugary “junk foods” will in fact ignite breakouts. Sugar (glucose) is almost always present in acne lesions causing the following to be true two conclusions are made:
1. Eating an excessive amount of sweets, sugar (glucose not fructose) hosted in sugary foods will ignite breakouts, by stimulating a surge of insulin and epinephrine leading to a burst of inflammation.
2. Hosting high amounts of sugar (glucose) in the skin tissue is not only a sign of consuming too many sugary foods it is also a sign of poor insulin efficiency. Foods containing high levels of lectins (mainly concentrated carbohydrates) will stunt the insulin-glucose relationship causing glucose to deviate freely through the blood stream and frequently manifesting as acne lesions. So when we have diets filled with glucose and lectin filled carbohydrates the ingredients in “Twinkies,” doughnuts, cake, and, yummy pastries, other junky snacks we eat. Not only do our moods swing out of control, so do our complexions! So skin the junk food isle in the store.