As we age, our lips age, too. They deflate and sag as a result of many years of constant movement and folding caused by the contraction of the underlying muscles of the lower face and lips, in particular the orbicularis oris muscle. This inevitable process occurs during pouting, smiling, laughing, yawning, or simply talking. All of these movements happen thousands of times per day. In addition, forces of gravity, sun exposure, smoking and the decline of collagen and elastin production after age 30 result in the loss of youthful appearance in one of our most attractive facial features, our kissing lips.
What are the best options for lip augmentation?
There are two types of procedures that can help you achieve the lips you desire:
- Lip Fillers (hyaluronic acid gels), strategically injected in and around the lips to fill in wrinkles and create volume. (non-surgical, non-permanent)
- Length of Procedure: 15-20 minutes
- Cost: $500-$900 per treatment
- Downtime: None
- Permalip, a gummy-worm-shaped, silicon, soft lip implant (surgical, permanent)
Most popular: Injectable lip fillers
Most patients are extremely satisfied with the use of non-surgical facial fillers for augmenting their lips. In fact, facial fillers are the world’s 2nd most popular procedure (right behind the #1 most popular procedure, BOTOX).
Available facial fillers by brand:
- Volbella Juvederm with lidocaine: developed by Allergan and first introduced in Paris. Its unique Vycross technology ensures a natural, long-lasting result. It is smooth and is the only lip augmentation gel that lasts up to one year, outlasting all other lip fillers by a significant margin. It is related to Voluma in many ways. (Presently, Volbella is approved everywhere in the world except the United States, where it is awaiting FDA approval.)
- Juvederm Ultra with lidocaine and Juvederm Ultra Plus with lidocaine: manufactured by Allergan.
- Restylane with lidocaine: manufactured by Q-Med of Sweden
- Perlane with lidocaine: manufactured by Q-Med. Is slightly thicker than Restylane, and thus longer lasting.
- Belotero Balance: manufactured by Merz of Germany