Chicago Hair Restoration Procedure
Hair restoration, also known as a hair transplant, is a precise procedure that provides the patient with real, naturally growing hair. When completed by experienced physicians the end result is natural looking hair that is impossible to detect.
What is hair restoration?
Hair Restoration has evolved into an easy, safe surgical procedure that works on both men and women who are experiencing thinning hair, complete hair loss or any varying degree of baldness.
- There are two techniques that are used today that virtually move hair from the back of the head to the front and top of the head.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant), also known as the strip method, is the classic technique that most patients still choose.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction), also known as the micro punch method, is the newest technology that provides a similar result, but the extraction of the hair is done one follicle at a time. New robotic technology also utilizes the FUE method.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT MAKES AN IDEAL HAIR RESTORATION PROCEDURE?
- A physician who offers you FUE and FUT technology is ideal, because you want the ability to choose the right technique for your goals and your budget. Any physician who only offers one is usually not experienced, or not up to date. You deserve both.
- You want a physician who evaluates your family history of hair loss from both sides of your family. Your physician shouldn’t solely be worried about your hair loss today, but where it’s heading in the future. We like to call this “planning a head.”
- You want to make sure your physician has years of experience sculpturing hairlines, which is arguably the most important part of the procedure.
- Make sure your expectations are tailored to the amount of donor hair available, so the appearance you end up with is equal to what you want.
- Realize you might need multiple procedures to ultimately complete your look and expectations.
WHAT IS FUT?
The FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) is the traditional procedure used by physicians around the world. It is also called the “strip” technique and is the most common hair restoration procedure. The strip takes a section of hair that is excised or cut out of the back of the scalp in the donor area. With today’s technology the strip is usually hidden within ten minutes or so. The strip of hair follicles are put under microscopes and dissected into single, double and triple hair follicles. The singles are used in the hairline for a soft wispy look and doubles are set behind the doubles and the triples are used on top for major density. With this technique we ask you to take it easy for about three days depending on your profession.
WHAT IS FUE?
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is a relatively new technique that has received a boost thanks to massive marketing campaigns. The FUE procedure eliminates the long scar in the donor area and extracts follicles one at a time. This means that the length of the procedure time is basically doubled. Also, the back of your head has to be completely shaved because we only want the follicle for the front and top. The shaved area in the back is totally exposed for three to four weeks. The amount of labor used in the procedure is also doubled and the time spent in the chair by you the patient is basically doubled as well. Some patients only want the newest techniques and are willing to pay for this new technology. The robotic technique basically uses the same procedure as the FUE.
HOW TO DO THE HAIR RESTORATION RESULTS DIFFER BETWEEN FUE AND FUT?
The results of the FUE and the FUT are basically the same, assuming that you are using an experienced physician.
HOW LONG DOES THE PROCEDURE TAKE?
At Forrester Hair Restoration and the Liposuction and Cosmetic Surgery Institute of Chicago the FUT procedure typically takes about six hours, depending on the number of grafts, and the FUE takes about nine hours but typically involves fewer follicles in a procedure.
WHAT TYPE OF ANESTHESIA IS REQUIRED?
Only a local anesthetic called lidocaine is used during a hair restoration. This is similar to what a dentist uses (Novocain). You are awake the entire procedure unless you decide to nap, and we normally have lunch together since it is a long day. Most patients watch movies while waiting for the procedure to be completed.
WHAT DISQUALIFIES SOMEONE FROM HAVING HAIR RESTORATION IN CHICAGO?
Those who do not have enough donor area from which to extract the necessary hair are excluded. Also those with limited donor who have expectations that cannot be realized may not qualify.
HOW LONG DO RESULTS FROM A HAIR RESTORATION LAST?
Results are amazing, usually in men they will last for the rest of your life. This is the same for women, although occasionally women may thin in their mid-to-late 70s.
WILL I LOSE MORE HAIR?
This depends on how much hair you have when we do the procedure, your genetic make-up and/or how much hair you are destined to lose. If you have a lot of hair, you will probably lose more, but if you are almost or completely bald, then you don’t really have more to lose.
WHEN CAN I RESUME MY NORMAL ACTIVITIES?
About a week after your hair restoration you can resume normal activities, although most people feel good enough to go to dinner or work in about two days.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH HAIR RESTORATION?
Temporary bruising, minor swelling and mild to moderate discomfort are the most common side effects, but always very limited. Temporary loss of sensation in the operated area resolves within a few months after surgery, and you may experience some itching during recovery.
HOW MUCH DOES A CHICAGO HAIR RESTORATION COST?
Surgical fees depend on the extent of your particular procedure, but a typical hair restoration cost ranges from $4,500 to $15,000, depending on FUT or FUE, the amount of hair you need and how many grafts you choose to purchase.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO AFTER MY PROCEDURE?
Rest and avoid exertion for three or four days. Sleep in a recliner, or with some pillows propped up under your head for at least three days after your surgery. You will receive post-op medication that will last four to six days and should be used for proper healing and faster growth.
WHAT IS THE FIRST STEP IN THE HAIR RESTORATION PROCESS?
Schedule your free consultation at one of our four locations in Chicago’s Gold Coast, Arlington Heights, Oak Brook or Naperville by clicking here or calling us at 847.259.1000. Our experienced team of surgeons and staff are here to meet all of your cosmetic needs.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM HAIR RESTORATION?
- Men who have thinning hair and do not want to be bald
- Men who are bald and do not want to go through life looking older than they are
- Women who are suffering from female pattern baldness and are distraught about how they look and feel about themselves
- Anyone who wants facial hair, thicker eye brows and/or enhanced eye lashes
WHAT DOES HAIR RESTORATION TREAT?
Hair restoration today is a wonderful procedure for anyone older than 18 who experiences hair loss, hair thinning and/or balding. It provides phenomenal results for men as well as women. If your hair loss is on your mind, it is usually because it is not on your head.